CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday 9 November 2007

Teens and their vocab

We all know teens have their own way of speaking. The Teen Language, their Lingo, they use to communicate and keep adults out of the loop. Being 22 and having worked on a teen mag for nearly 4 years I’ve got the DL, I know my OMG’s from my TDF’s and I know when ATM should be used. I also know when to LOL.

But not all the latest ‘teen speak’ is classy. As I have a sister who is 15 and she has friend’s who are around the same age I tend to be ‘friends’ with a lot of them on myspace (apparently this generation haven’t ‘discovered’ facebook yet).
Keeping in mind a lot of my readers are teens I’m going to try and keep this as short and sweet as I can.

The thing I don’t understand is why this generation of teens think it’s cool to swear on the 'net. I mean, I have to take my hat off to anyone who uses a swear word from time to time. After all they are damn satisfying words (specially when you stub your toe, get a parking fine or find out your boyfriend’s been cheating on you) but when you’re on myspace posting bulletins and comments with the subject line as ‘f@#$ this’ and ‘f#@$#$@ c#$% that’ it gets really….. what’s the word I’m looking for here......un-classy? Rude? Really inappropriate?

Now don’t get me wrong I am no prude (as my boyfriend and friends close to me can assure you) but I just think that every time I log into my myspace page and I see these stupid bulletins with swear words typed in so bold you’d think it was going out of fashion, I kinda wanna give you all a smack on the bum. From now on when I see these bulletins I will simply delete you from my friends list. Aha that's right. Coz ATM I am not LOL and I am not a happy chappy.

Girl Next Door xx

P.S Enjoy your weekend!

2 comments:

Liv said...

I totally agree with you with the swearing on the 'Net thing. It is totally unnecessary and distracts from what the poster is trying to say in their bulletin.
Keep the swearing sparse and in the real world, guys and girls! You sound soooo much more intelligent when you use REAL words, not cussing substitutes.

Check out my blog, I really need some advice on a stupid boy from girls who are more experienced and wiser than me!
Love Liv

frangipani princess said...

swearing just annoys me. My friends are always swearing and i can't stand it. Most of the time there is no need to use it and they only do because it seems 'cool'. It's so un-classy and awful i don't know why they bother. Great post btw.
gg xx