CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 13 February 2008

Love is in the air - or is it?

Don’t think that this is going to be a rant about how wonderful being in a relationship is on Valentine’s Day. Coz let me tell you that that is one thing that it’s not. What I can tell you is that it's hard work - especially when you've been for someone for quite a few Valentine's Days.

I’ve always been a little ‘so-so’ about the whole St Valentine idea. Not that I don’t like being showered with gifts, kisses, hugs and whatever else is thrown my way; but I have to wonder sometimes - is it all a marketing ploy – just another holiday to add to our lists of ‘to-dos’ and extra-curricular presents?

Before I had a boyfriend; Valentine’s Day used to be a day that I kinda dreaded and kinda looked forward to at the same time. The anticipation of maybe receiving something - anything from that boy I was crushing on, (I was usually disappointed) then I was happy when my friends handed out cute cards and lollies to compensate for us single birds. I dreaded having to watch all the popular girls at school get cute ornaments hanging off their lockers and more secret admirers than you could count on one hand.





Then one day - poof - I had a boyfriend. We went out to dinner, exchanged cards, pashed at my front door (all the cutesey stuff) and it was so gorgeous and beautiful but when the next year came round we both felt this pressure to exceed what we’d given eachother/done last Valentine’s Day. Which isn’t exactly romantic – right?


You may have realised I’m not exactly the raging mascot for V-Day, but in saying that I think that a few good ol’ fashioned romantic gestures don't go astray on the day (for all you men out there). You don’t have to go overboard and spend your week’s pay or anything but it’s the little things that make all the difference - paying for her/his meal (or at least offering to). Opening and closing the car door for her (this one gives double points as not many guys do this anymore) or giving her a single flower will show her how much you care. These rules apply for all ladies even if they’re in a long term relationship (with you that is).

So, I hope Cupid is good to you all! Let me know who surprises you (or doesn’t surprise you!)

Peace Out,

Girl Next Door xoxoxo

1 comments:

frangipani princess said...

we're having our swimming carnival tomorrow at school and as a fundraiser, year twelve are announcing love messages and songs all day. You can buy them for a dollar. Fun for the people in relationships, not so fun for people who aren't...

gg xx