CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday 18 June 2008

Is Yoga really that good for you?

I’m one of those chicks you’d refer to as a Gym-Junkie, no, I’m no anorexic but I do care about my body, what I put in it and how I treat it is one of the most important parts of my life (isn’t it everyone’s?). I’ve been a member of Fitness First for nearly 4 years now and in that time my relationship with the gym has had many stages.

Starting out I just couldn’t get into it, I started going with my friend Bec at lunchtimes, then before work – meaning, getting out of bed at ridiculous hours of the morning and even tried the after work workout. It was just all bad timing, I had nothing to work towards, then I scored myself a full-time boyfriend and it was time to think about how I wanted him to see me and how I felt about my body. Slowly, I started to lose weight, tone up and regain my confidence. Now that I’ve been going for so long, I’ve stopped seeing results, it’s like my body is telling me it’s time to change my workout and move onto something that will start showing results again, you know, mix it up. My mum has always told me (and I hate to admit it, but, mum’s always seem to be right!) I need to get into Yoga, not only for the body benefits but the mind and spirit ones too.

I’ve always thought of Yoga as the easy way out of exercising, the cheater’s guide, if you like. I mean, how can you possibly burn calories when all you’re doing is stretching? Although on the other hand, Madonna, Geri Halliwell and many more trim celebs swear by the Ancient Indian art.


I had to try this ‘exercise’ out for myself, I took advantage of the mid-year sales and bought a Yoga DVD; 10 Minute Solution, Yoga. I have been partaking in the DVD every second morning before breakfast. The good thing about it is that you can make up your own workouts, there are 5 x 10 minute workouts to choose from, each session focusing on a different part of the body. Abs, legs and butt, relaxation, burn and basics, I did 30 minutes this morning – basics, legs and abs and let me tell you I worked up one hell of a sweat, I could smell my armpits from a mile away and when my boyfriend walked in to the lounge room he was wiping sweat from my forehead! I can barely hold my arms up as I type right now, they’re killing me.

I will continue to trial the DVD and let you know what the results are, if I start seeing any more. The teacher on the DVD says that if I practise the DVD regularly I will start to see and feel the difference. I have already noticed there’s a sense of calmness in my body and my day when I combine Yoga into my morning routine.
Maybe my Mum is onto something?

Peace Out,

Girl Next Door xoxo

0 comments: